|Current Position (s)||Member of Parliament|
|Birth Date||August 4th, 1955|
|Location||North Eastern Constituency , and Northeast Constituency,Akureyri, Norðausturkjördæmi, Iceland|
- Member of Althingi for the North Eastern Constituency 1983–2003 and for the Northeast Constituency since 2003.
- Deputy Speaker of Althingi 2017 and 2013–2016.
- Speaker of Althingi 2016–2017 and since 2017.
- Chairman of the Parliamentary group of the People’s Alliance 1987–1988.
- Member of the Welfare Committee 2017 and 2015–2016.
- Member of the Icelandic delegation to the Nordic Council 2017, 2013–2016, 2006–2007 and 1996–2005.
- Member of the Economic Affairs and Trade Committee 2013–2015 and 1991–1999.
- Member of the Foreign Affairs Committee 1999–2009.
- Member of the Social Affairs Committee 1999–2003.
- Member of the Fisheries Committee 1991–1998 (Chairman 1995–1998).
- Member of the Althingi Special Committee on Constitutional Affairs 2004–2005.
- Member of the Icelandic Delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe 2007–2009.
- Member of the PACE Committee on Equal Opportunities for Women and Men 2008–2009 (Chairman 2008–2009).
- Member of the Icelandic Delegation to the West Nordic Council 1991–1995.
- Minister of Industries and Innovation 2012–2013.
- Minister of Economic Affairs and of Fisheries and Agriculture 2011–2012.
- Minister of Finance 2009–2011.
- Minister of Fisheries and Agriculture 2009.
- Minister of Agriculture and Communications 1988–1991.
Political party career
- Chairman of the Left-Green Movement 1999–2013.